FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another great story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Admin

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another great story
    Posted: 26 August 2007 at 11:45am
It is from this link:

http://greekodyssey.typepad.com/

Politsani

I don't know why I was inexplicably drawn to a place that I only knew through my grandmother's stories. A place full of ghosts, full of sadness and happiness.  This village high in the mountains where she was born and where she had lived the happiest years of her long life. For me, it was a foggy dream that never ended. Something that I could not seem to erase from my memory.

When you are young and the whole world lays at your feet, nothing can stand in your way.  You think that you will always be victorious and that you will be the master of your fate.  Only as the years pass will you finally understand that life does what it will to you.  You begin to return to  where you have been and understand where you are going.  Before long you begin to ask: "What meaning does my life hold for me?"  How can I possibly answer this question without returning to the beginning? Without finding as the poet Cavafy once wrote, my very own Ithaka.  Only there would I discover the unique meaning of my own life.

The death of my father last spring, generated a longing in me to rediscover the birthplace and spiritual origin of generations of my ancestors. A forgotten piece of Hellenism. A flame that refuses to be snuffed out. The road to the village of Politsani is long, winding, arduous, dangerous and climbs constantly. You will pass ice cold mountain streams, deep gorges, towering mountains covered in Pine trees. Traveling through this rugged landscape you feel the powerful hand of God yet also his beneficent and forgiving love. The air is clean, crisp and heavy with the scent of Pine. As you turn a sharp corner in the trail you suddenly find yourself gazing at the village nestled in the lap of the mountain range known as Nemertska.  During the long years of Communist rule, Nemertska, which runs eight kilometers in length traversing the Greek-Albanian border was the road to freedom.  On its snow covered peaks, hidden under white bedsheets, a few audacious villagers made the trip to a new life and the freedom that lay beyond.

Now the road is open and only the ugly, cement "mushrooms"  remain as visible scars. These bunkers scattered throughout  the countryside, and built at great cost, are all pointed south. They bear silent witness to the megalomania and paranoia of the morally bankrupt regime of Enver Hoxha,  the Communist strongman who ruled Albania for decades.  Before arriving in Politsani, I worried about what I might find and what might happen.  How could I imagine the warm hospitality and filial love  that I would receive and that it would be given so freely. For the first time in my life, my name was no longer strange and cumbersome. It said everything that needed to be said about me. I no longer required any other type of identification.

I began my journey carrying only a small back pack, by catching a taxi from Constitution Square in downtown Athens to the bus station where I could take a bus to the provincial capital of Ioannina.  The taxi driver immediately picked up on my accented Greek and asked where I was from. I told him that I was born in Constantinople, raised in the United States and that my parents were originally from Northern Epirus. He turned his head around and said with a belligerent tone:  "In other words, they are Albanians."  At that moment I felt the pain of the Greek minority in Albania. They are truly the  forgotten Greeks. Like Odysseus I was being drawn by the sirens to the rocks and to catastrophe and like him I  stayed tied to my seat in the taxi without responding. The taxi driver said nothing further.

The Greeks of Northern Epirus, after enduring five hundred years of Ottoman occupation were able to gain their freedom twice and both times destiny was to snatch them from the arms  of Mother Hellas. Despite the cataclysmic events of the twentieth century and the depravities of the Communist captivity, Hellenism still survives in this blood stained corner of the world. The people of Northern Epirius have been tested and have struggled for centuries to maintain their Greek identity. Through it all they managed to maintained their faith, their language, and above all, their humanity. This example is one that the far flung Greeks of the  Diaspora as well as those Greeks who live in Greece should  emulate.

In 1930, Politsani had a population of 2000.  Today, only approximately 100 live there year round. The school has eleven children attending and both the Albanian and Greek language are  taught there. The Church of the Three Archangels and other parts of the village have been refurbished and improved thanks to the substantial monies donated by those Politsanites living in the United States and in Greece.  Unfortunately, most of the young people have been forced to emigrate due to the economic conditions and the government neglect that exists throughout the area. Most now live in Greece, the United States, and in Cyprus.  In the summer, however, many return and the village is reborn as the echo of children's laughter and voices can be heard everywhere.  As I sat at the small kafenion in the village square, trading small talk with the men, I looked into their faces and recognized the familiar faces I had grown up with. The relatives and friends my parents spent their time with. Suddenly, an old man named Mihalis  (Michael) appeared suddenly like the Archangel himself. He was sun burnt and he clasped his massive hands around mine and commanded: "Come with me."  I was immediately guided to a small stone house. In its small courtyard was an unforgettable tableau.  Sitting under the shade of a a grape arbor was a  stately ninety-five year old gentleman named Nicholas and his faithful wife, Froso. Their eyes reflected years of war, foreign occupation, jail, exile and poverty.  "This is Stavros Nassis of the Gellati clan" bellowed my companion. Immediately, tears welled in their eyes and they responded: "Welcome child, welcome home."  Immediately Kiria (Mrs.) Froso brought out the tsipouro (homemade liquor), a small plate with spoonfuls of homemade preserves and loukoumi, otherwise known as Turkish delight. And so it was from house to house.

I, who had not given anything, received so many worthwhile things in return. The most important being a glimpse of a humane existence. Something which is being lost in the cultural and spiritual chaos that we have fashioned for ourselves.  In the faithless society that we live in we have lost those essential qualities such as courtesy, respect for others, hospitality, and a sense of community. The very supports that our civilization is built on.  Now we consider these things worthless and useless. As that great philosopher, at least in my book, my father-in-law Christos,  often preaches, only when we return to the basics of filotimo,  will we be able to discern what is right and act accordingly.

The legacy  of Politsani is priceless, because through her I was granted an identity and sense of who I am in the world. Just as Politsani molded my ancestors, so they have created me in their image. Their blood runs through my veins but more importantly their spirit, faith, pride, history and love live in my heart.

Finally, the ghosts are no longer ghosts, the names on the tombs and the faces in the faded photographs live in us and whoever understands this understands that they live eternally in our collective memories.

Politsani does not forget us, it is enough that we should not forget her.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 11:46am
The Greek version of the above story:

Scan10010 Δεν ξέρω γιατί με τραβούσε ένα μέρος το οποίο το γνώριζα μόνο από τα παραμύθ_ 3;α της γιαγιάς μου. Ένα μέρος γεμάτο φαντάσματα , γεμάτο λύπες και χαρές. Αυτό το ορεινό χωριουδάκι όπου γεννήθηκε, μεγάλωσε και πέρασε τα καλύτερα χρόνια της ζωής της. Γιά εμένα ήταν ένα όνειρο θολό που δεν τελειώνει ποτέ. Κάτι που δεν μπορούσα να σβήσω από την μνήμη μου.

Όταν είσαι νέος και ο κόσμος ανοίγη μπροστά σου, δεν σε νοιάζει τί` 0;οτα. Νομίζεις ότι πάντοτε θα είσαι νικητής και θα κάνεις την ζωή σου ότι θέλεις. Μόνο όταν τα χρόνια περάσουν καταλαβαίν εις ότι η ζωή, σου κάνει αυτή ότι θέλει. Αρχίζεις να επανέλθεις και να καταλάβεις που έχεις πάει και που πας. Τότε ρωτάς : τι σημασία έχει η ζωή μου. Πως να απαντήσω στο ερώτημα αυτό χωρίς να βρω την αρχή ; Χωρίς να βρώ, όπως γράφε_ 3; ο ποιητής Καβάφης, την Ιθάκη μου. Μόνο εκεί θα μπορούσα να καταλάβ` 9; την ιδιαίτερη σημασία της ζωής μου.

Ο θάνατος του πατέρα μου, το καλοκαίρι του 2007, προκάλεσε σε μένα μία ανάγκη μεγάλη. Να γυρίσω στην πνευματική και γενέθλια πηγή μας. Στην πατρίδα όπου γεννήθηκαν οι πρόγονοί μου. Ένα ξεχασμένο _ 4;ομμάτι του Ελληνισμού . Μία φλόγα που δεν θέλει να σβήσει.

Image141_edited5 Ο χωματόδρομ ος που πάει στην Πολίτσανη είναι μακρής, δύσκολος, ε 60;ικίνδυνος και ανεβαίνει συνέχεια. Θα περάσεις από ποταμάκια, χαράδρες κ^ 5;ι τεράστια βουνά, γεμάτο πεύκα. Νιώθεις επάνω σε αυτή την τοποθεσία ` 4;ην μεγάλη δύναμη του Θεού αλλά και την μεγάλη αγάπη του. Ο αέρας είναι καθα` 1;ός και μοσχοβολάε ι πεύκο και περπατώντα ς γυρνάς μιά απότομη στροφή και εμπρός σου βλέπεις το χωριό,  κρυμμένο  μέσα στην αγκαλιά του βουνού, που ονομάζεται Νεμέρτσκα.  ;  Κατά την περίοδο του κουμουνιστ ικού καθεσ` 4;ώτος, η Νεμέρτσκα που έχει μήκος 8 χιλιόμετρα και περνάει τα ελληνικ^ 0; σύνορα, ήταν ο δρόμος της ελευθερίας . Μέσα στα χιόνια της, σκεπασ 56;ένοι με άσπρα σεντόνια φεύγανε μερικοί θαραλέοι χωριανοί και περνού` 3;ανε σε μιά καινούργια ζωή.

Τώρα ο δρόμος έχει ανοίξει και έχουν μείνει μόνο τα Μανιτάρια. & #932;α καταφύγεια που βρίσκονται παντού, είχαν κτισθεί με μεγάλες δαπάνες. Όλ 45; βλέπουν προς το Νότο και είναι μιά ομιλούσα διαθήκη της παράνοιας _ 4;αι μεγαλομανί ας του καθεστώτος του Ενβέρ Χότζα. Πριν φθάσω στην Πολίτ` 3;ανη είχα ένα άγχος, μιά ανησυχία. Δεν ήξερα τι θα βρω και τι θα γίνει. Που να ξέρω πως οι κάτοικοι του χωριού θα με δεχθούνε φιλόξενα κ^ 5;ι μάλιστα με αγάπη και θα έβρισκα μιά πραγματική πνευματική χαρά. Ήμουν με τον τρόπο μου ο Οδυσσέας, γυρίζοντας στην Ιθάκη μου. Γιά πρώτη φορά το όνομά μου δεν ήταν ξένο και περίεργο. Γιά πρώτη φορά το όνομά μου έλεγε τα πάντα γιά εμένα. Δεν χρειαζόμου να άλλα στοιχεία.

Image141_edited3 Όταν άρχισα το ταξίδι μου, πήρα ένα ταξί από την πλατεία Συντάγματο ς έως τον σταθμό όπου φεύγουν τα λεωφορεία γιά τα Ιωάννινα. Ο ταξιτζής α_ 4;ούγοντας την προφορά μου, με ρώτησε την καταγωγή μου. Του είπα ότι γεννήθ_ 1;κα στην Κωνσταντιν ούπολη, μεγάλωσα στην Αμερική, αλλά ότι οι γονείς μου είναι βορειοηπει ρώτες. Αυτός ο Νεοέλληνας ; γύρισε το κεφάλι του και μου απαντάει με ένα εχθρικό τρόπο : Δηλαδή είναι Αλβανοί. Εκ&# 949;ίνη την στιγμή ένιωσα τον πόνο της Ελληνικής μειονότητα ς, οι ξεχασμέ_ 7;οι Έλληνες. Σαν τον Οδυσσέα άκουγα τις σηρείνες που με καλούσαν π` 1;ος τις πέτρες και την καταστροφή και σαν τον Οδυσσέα έμεινα δεμένος στ&# 959; κάθισμα του ταξί, χωρίς να απαντήσω. Ο ταξιτζής έμεινε σιωπηλός κι αυτός.

Οι βορειοηπει ρώτες δύο φορές μετά την τουρκοκρατ ία απελευθερώ θηκαν και δύο φορές η μοίρα τους πήρε από την αγκαλιά της μητέρας Ελλάς. Στην διάρκ^ 9;ια της καταστροφή ς του εικοστού αιώνα, παρά το κουμουνιστ ικό καθεστa 4;ς του Χότζα, δεν έσβησε ο Ελληνισμός . Οι βορειοηπει ρώτες όπως πάντα έχουν γιά αιώνες δοκιμασθεί και αγωνισθεί να διατηρήσου ν την θρησκε^ 3;α, την γλώσσα, την ελληνική ταυτότητα και προ πάντων την αθρωπιά το` 5;ς. Αυτό το παράδειγμα είναι σημαντικό όχι μόνο γιά εμάς τους Έλληνες τη` 2; διασποράς, αλλά και της Ελλάδος.

Η Πολίτσανη, που το 1930 ήταν ένα χωριό με 2000 κατοίκους, σήμερα έχε_ 3; 100 μόνιμους κατοίκους. Το σχολείο έχει μόνο 11 παιδιά και εκεί διδάσ_ 4;ετε η Αλβανική και η Ελληνική γλώσσα. Η εκκλησία των Αγίων Ταξι^ 5;ρχών έχει ανακαινισθ εί με χρήματα που έχουν διαθέσει οι Πολιτσα_ 7;ίτες στην Αμερική και στην Ελλάδα. Δυστηχώς οι νεαροί, λόγω της οικονο_ 6;ικής κατάστασης και της κρατικής αμέλειας, έχουν αναγκασθεί να μετανασ_ 2;εύσουν αλλού : Αμερική, Ελλάδα και Κύπρο. Το καλοκαίρι όμως αναγε_ 7;νήται το χωριό και ακούγετε ένας αντίλαλος, τα γέλια και οι φωνές των παιδιών. Στο μικρό καφενείο, απέναντι από την πλατεία του χωριού, κάθ 51;σα με τους άνδρες του χωριού και μέσα στα πρόσωπά τους έβλεπα τα πρόσωπα με τα οποία μεγάλωσα.

Scan10011_2 Ξαφνικά έρχετε ένας ψηλός γεροντο-παλ ;ηκαράς, ο κύριος Μιχάλης, μα 65;ρισμένος από τον ήλιο, με χέρια μεγάλα και δυνατά και πέρνει το χέρι μου, που χάθηκε μέσα στο δικό του, και με διατάζει : Έλα μαζί μου. Με οδήγησε σε ένα μικρό πέτρινο σπιτάκι. Μέσα στην αυλή αυτού του σπιτιού αν` 4;ίκρισα μιά εικόνα αξέχαστη. Κάτω από μιά κρεββατίνα , γεμάτη στα` 6;ύλια, καθότανε ένας περήφανος γέροντας, ετών 95, ο κύριος Νικόλας κα_ 3; πλάι η πιστή γυναίκα του, η κυρία Φρώσο. Μέσα στα μάτια τους διάβα_ 0;α μιά ιστορία γεμέτη πόλεμο, φτώχεια, εξορία και φυλακή. Αυτός είνα 53; ο Σταύρος Νάσσης, από το σόϊ Τζελάτι αναγγέλει ο κύριος Μιχάλης. Κα 53; αμέσως δακρίζουν τα μάτια τους και λένε : καλώς το παιδί μας, καλώς ήλθες. Η κυρία Φρώσο τρέχει να βγάλη το τσίπουρο, το λουκούμι, τ 59; γλυκό και έτσι γινόταν από σπίτι σε σπίτι. Εγώ που δεν είχα προσφ^ 1;ρει τίποτα στο χωριό, αυτό μου έδωσε τόσα πολύτιμα πράματα. Το κυριότε` 1;ο είναι ένας πίνακας, Ανθρώπινη ζωή. Κάτι που χάνετε μέσα στην ταχύτητα και το πολιτιστικ ό και πνευματικό χάος που έχουμε κατ` 9;ρθόσει γιά τον εαυτό μας. Σε αυτή την θρησκευτικ ή έρημο που ζούμε εξαφ^ 5;νίζεται η ευγένεια, ο σεβασμός γιά τον άλλον, η συμπαράστα ση, δηλαδή τα πολιστικά και πνευματικά στοιχεία όπου στηρίζετε η κοινωνία μ^ 5;ς. Τώρα τα υποτιμάμε αυτά ώς άχρηστα. Όπως λέει ο μεγάλος φιλόσοφος ( 47;ιά εμένα) ο πεθερός μου, μόνο όταν θα μπορούμε να τα ξαναγνωρίσ ουμε αυτά τα απαραίτητα , θα μπορούμε να γίνουμε πάλι φιλότιμοι και να διακρίν_ 9;υμε το σωστό.

Scan10011_3 Η κληρονομιά της Πολίτσανης δεν έχει τιμή, γιατί το μέρος αυτό μου έδωσε την ταυτότητά μου. Όπως δημιούργησ ε η Πολίτσανη τους προγόνους _ 6;ου, έτσι και αυτοί με δημιούργησ αν σαν τον εαυτό τους. Το αίμα τους τρέχε_ 3; στις φλέβες μου, αλλά τα πιό σημαντικά, τα αισθήματα, η περηφάνε_ 3;α, η πίστη, η ιστορία και η αγάπη τους, ζούνε μέσα στην καρδιά μου.&nb sp;

Τελικά τα φαντάσματα δεν είναι πιά φαντάσματα , τα ονόματα στους τάφο` 5;ς και τα πρόσωπα στις ξεθωριασμέ νες φωτογραφίε ς ζούνε μέσα μας και όποιος μπορεί να το δεί το καταλαβαίν ει,  ότι μένουν αθάνατοι στην μνήμη μας.

Η Πολίτσανη δεν μας ξεχνά, φτάνει να μην την ξεχάσουμε και εμείς.

Σταύρος Νικολάου Νάσσης
Αθήναι, 1 Αυγούστου 2007

leandhros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote leandhros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 7:39am

That's a really great story told with passion and love!

Post Reply Post Reply